Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Cake Is A Lie

 I made this cake for my brother for his birthday. As the title implies, the cake is a lie, it's made out of Styrofoam for the cake, polymer clay for the whip cream, and wood for the cherries. Oh and Spray paint for the Styrofoam and wood.
Mom went to Fred Meyers and bought me a cake box to put the cake into. It was just a plain white cake box and mom said I should stamp Happy Birthday onto it but I had a better idea, why not take the logo from the game I got the cake idea from and put it on there. Which turned out to be quite some work cause we don't have a working printer here and couldn't go to moms to print it out for fear of my brother seeing what I was printing. I ended up holding a piece of paper to the computer screen and tracing the design. Then cut it out and traced it onto the box in pencil then went over it with sharpies. It took me an hour to put it onto the box and color it in. I added on the the little saying on the flap. He really seamed to enjoy it and said I did a great job making it. He doesn't know where he is going to put it yet since it is quite a bit bigger then the usual stuff I make him. 

Here is the back story to this cake. It is a replica cake of one in a video game called Portal 2. You go through this entire video game going through test chambers and at one point they tell you there is going to be cake, but the cake is a lie, there is no cake, or is there? Once you beat the game the screen fades out and then said cake is shown for a brief minute. Both my brother and I like this video game, so I knew he would get a kick out of having his own version of the cake.

Now I have 4 months to figure out what the heck to make him for his Christmas gift.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

It's very impressive ! Both the cake & the box!